Monday, September 29, 2014

Earthquake in Anchorage, Alaska!



          There was a earthquake Thursday morning at 9:50 a.m in Anchorage, Alaska and it was September 25, 2014 I was staying at the Hilton hotel and the whole hotel shook and moved. I was getting ready to go out and an earthquake happened. The bathroom was moving and shaking I was just standing there and I looked out the bathroom, the bed was moving, the drawers were moving, and everything else was moving. I was so shocked but scared because I was on the ninth floor in the hotel. I thought to myself, for a nice hotel like this, it is built to handle earthquakes, so I am fine. Other older hotels, like the Coast International wouldn't handle an earthquake.

          The earthquake had happened about 90 miles away in Willow, Alaska. The earthquake was a 6.2 magnitude. I find that hard to believe. It is weird that an earthquake happened when I'm in town. After the earthquake, I could feel the hotel sway right after the earthquake.

    Earthquakes happen because of plate tectonics. When the earth moves, somehow the plates hit each other and then boom, there's an earthquake. Another reason why there are earthquakes is the plates of the earth rub against each other or one plate goes under the other.
   
    In Anchorage, some people's business offices were damaged and at Romig Middle School the ceiling was damaged. Anyways, earthquakes are unbelievable things and I hope you learned something new that happened in the world.


           
Resources: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ak11401855#summary
Channel 2 Alaska news
Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment